Ryan's Root Beer Pulled Pork
- 8.1kg Raw Pork Butt
- 5L Root Beer
- 150g Salt
- 500mL Tomato Paste
- 500g Brown Sugar
- 500mL Apple Cider Vinegar
- Per Portion:
- 50mL Caramelized Onions
- 75mL Spicy BBQ Sauce
- (Optional) 25mL Sambal Oelek
- Heat up the root beer and dissolve the salt into it. Cool.
- Cover the pork butt in the root beer marinade/brine, saran wrap and let brine/marinade over night, up to 24 hours.
- Remove meat from the brine reserving the liquid in a pot. Place pork in a deep hotel pan. Cover in tomato paste and then rub the brown sugar on in a nice coating around the meat.
- Roast pork for 30 minutes at 475F.
- While pork is roasting reduce the brining liquid by half.
- Add liquid into the pan including the apple cider vinegar and lower temperature to 250F.
- Cover firmly with foil.
- Cook until internal temperature is 95C, approximately 8 hours. If possible do at 200F for a longer period of time, approximately 10 hours. Low and slow.
- Once pork has reached desired doneness remove from the liquid, reserving the liquid for later use.
- Remove meat from liquid and pull apart with 2 forks, tongs, gloved hands, or stand mixer on low setting. Whatever is your preference but if using stand mixer careful to not over mix to preserve texture. Remove any larger pieces of fat that may not pull apart. Add liquid as needed to keep the meat very moist, about 3L.
- Cool rapidly on sheet pan then portion to 150g portions.
Yields 6kg or 40-150g Portions
To order pan fry the pulled pork in with caramelized onions (5omL) with 90mL (3 fluid ounces) of the liquid until the liquid reduces into the meat. Remove from heat and add BBQ sauce (75mL) as needed. May wish to add sambal at this point as well to taste.