15ml Lemon Juice
500ml Cream 35%
- Combine the sugar, water and lemon juice in a sauce pan.
- Heat sauce pan over high heat until the sugar caramelizes to a nice brown colour, brushing the sides with water to stop sugar crystals from forming. Do not stir.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the cream. If it seizes just keep whisking in the cream until all the cream is added.
- Add in the butter, cubed.
- Strain and cool completely at room temperature, then bottle and store in a fridge.
For butterscotch sauce use brown sugar instead of white sugar. Add another 50ml of water to start. Stir the sugar with the water and lemon juice together, it should look like wet sand. Heat until the mixture feels like liquid and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add the cream.
For thicker sauce (this is already decently thick) add less cream. Or for caramel for brittle or something don't add cream at all.